This Dota 2 Troll Warlord Guide will walk you through the things that make this hero so popular.
When choosing a hard carry, people have to pick from a lot of different options. However, after reading this Troll Warlord Dota 2 guide, you will realize why this is one of the preferred options for so many players in PUBs. Albeit not the number one option for professional players, Troll has always been a respected name in his position.
Troll Warlord is a ranged agility hero with 50-58 damage, 2.8 armor, and 290 movement speed. However, he is unique because the hero is among the few that can switch between Ranged and Melee. There are many other things you need to know about the hero, so before checking the Dota 2 Troll Warlord Reddit, here’s what to expect.
Regardless of the Troll Warlord Dota 2 lane you want to go to, one of the important things you need to know is his abilities, so let’s review them.
- Berserker’s Rage – This ability allows Troll Warlord to become a melee or a ranged hero. If he chooses the first option, he will get have a 20% chance to ensure enemies for 2s, which will prevent them from moving or using abilities. Furthermore, this ability grants the hero 45 bonus movement speed, 7 bonus armor and reduces the base attack time. Both whirling axes can be accessed at the same time and they will automatically switch Troll to the form of the ability they use.
- Whirling Axes – This ability has a different effect if Troll is Ranged or Melee. In the first case, the hero throws aces that deal 140 damage and slow down a target for 40% for 4s. If the hero is in a melee stance, he will deal 200 damage and blind enemies for 5s, during which they will have a 60% chance to miss their attacks.
- Fervor – This passive ability can give up to 12 stacks, and each one grants 30 attack speed.
- Battle Trance – Troll’s ultimate allows him to attack the closest target near him for 6.5s. During that time, the hero has 80% life steal, 35% bonus MS, and 200 bonus attack speed. Moreover, the hero can’t die from damage during this ult, and the ability applies a basic dispel.
The Shard will allow the hero to gain 4 additional Fervor stacks and 20%+3% chance per Fervor stack to fire an additional ranged attack to any unit within the ranged attack range plus 175. Aghanim's Scepter will allow Troll to dispel enemies with his ranged axe and the item will reduce their CD and mana cost.
Another thing to check after going to the Troll Warlord Dota 2 wiki is the hero’s talents, so here’s more information about them
- Level 10 – +25 movement speed for Berserker’s Rage or Whirling Axes have +2s debuff duration
- Level 15 – Whirling Axes grant +90 damage, or Fervor grants +5 attack speed
- Level 20 – Berserker’s rage will grant 10 armor, or Battle Trance provides +20% movement speed
- Level 25 – Battle Trance has a strong dispel, or Whrilign Axes go through magic immunity
Dota 2 Troll Warlord Guide – Tips
Regardless of your preferred Dota 2 Troll Warlord build, there are a few important things you need to know about the hero. We’d like to start with the elephant in the room, which is the fact that Troll is not that strong in the laning stage. Sure, there are scenarios where it can be okay, but generally speaking, this is not the hero that’s good for securing early-game kills. Of course, your enemies are aware of it, so they will try to take advantage of the situation by putting an aggressive offlaner to play versus you.
Another thing that Troll is known for is that he is not the faster farmer either. That’s one of the reasons why some people like getting things, such as Battle Fury, in order to speed up the farming process.
Like Ursa, Troll Warlord is among the few heroes in the game who can single-handedly kill Roshan. Even though this used to be easier when the hero had a bash, once he gets some lifesteal, he should be able to kill Roshan and get the Aegis, so always keep that in mind when playing. Of course, you have to make sure your opponents won’t suspect you’re doing this, so use a Smoke or something similar.
Besides cool Toll Warlord Dota 2 voice lines, it is worth knowing that this is probably the strongest hero for a 1v1 scenario. His ability to get tons of attack speed when attacking a single target makes him very dangerous, so enemies will try to avoid man-fighting by kiting him.
Troll Warlord Dota 2 Guide – Pros and Cons
The Dota 2 Troll Warlord skins are one of the reasons why people like this hero. However, there are many other things that make him special, so let’s learn more about them.
- Can kill Roshan alone
- One of the best in 1v1 situations
- Late-game monster
- Pretty hard to kill
- Slow farmer
- His laning stage is not the best
Troll Warlord Dota 2 Items
After learning how to play with the hero, the next important thing to discuss here is the Dota 2 Troll Warlord best items.
The hero needs to start the game with HP regen and some stats that can be converted to a Wraith Band and a Magic Wand. Alternatively, some people also like getting a Quelling Blade so they can land their last hits easier.
The best early game items for Troll Warlord include Boots of Speed, a Wraith Band, and a Magic Wand. The latter is something you won’t find in every Dota 2 Troll Warlord guide, which is strange because the hero greatly benefits from it.
For the mid game, Troll Warlord players can take two routes. One is to get a Battle Fury and focus on farming, whereas the second is to purchase a Shadow Blade and start roaming. Depending on the Troll Warlord Dota 2 build, you can find things like Diffusal Blade, Sange and Yasha, Desolator, Black King Bar, and more.
The best late-game items for Troll Warlord include Butterfly, Black King Bar, Assault Cuirass, Monkey King Bar, Abyssal Blade, and more. It really depends on the heroes he has to play against.
Dota 2 Troll Warlord Counter
Despite being the best in a 1v1 situation, Troll Warlord has a lot of heroes he needs to be aware of. Below, you can find every single Troll Warlord Dota 2 counter.
- Axe – Axe’s Blade Mail and Call combo is devastating against Troll unless the latter uses his ultimate.
- Shadow Shaman/Lion – The reason why these 2 heroes are good is because of their CC. Troll is vulnerable against it, and he needs to get a BKB versus them.
- Chaos Knight – CK’s illusions and his insane damage output make him highly effective against Troll Warlord.
- Bane – Bane can control Troll Warlord even when he has BKB on, so he is highly effective.
Overall, this Troll Warlord Dota 2 guide revealed that this hero is really strong, but only in situations where there are no counters. He is easy to play and effective against most heroes, but his slow farming speed means that people need to know what they’re doing.