Prepare to take the reins and scorch the battlefield with our Dota 2 Batrider Guide
With a reputation for fiery dominance and fearsome flight prowess, Batrider is a Hero that embodies both terror and strategy in equal measures. From his potent set of abilities to his unique aerial maneuverability, he is a force to reckon with, capable of dictating the course of battles and turning enemies into helpless victims.
Batrider, commonly known as Bat, is a ranged Universal Hero with a high starting HP of 736 and a generous Mana pool of 339. His base attack damage ranges between 41-45 per hit, and his base movement speed sits at 330. He has a base armor of 4.5 which is on the higher side. Overall his capacity for high flexibility and damage makes him a menacing presence in any fight.
Playing Batrider requires strategic positioning and good map awareness. He excels at ganking, initiating fights, and providing vision for his team. When played effectively, he can control the flow of fights by isolating enemy Heroes with his powerful abilities.
Here are Batrider's fiery abilities.
- Sticky Napalm – Batrider drenches an area in sticky oil, amplifying subsequent damage from his attacks and abilities while slowing the movement speed and turn rate of his enemies. Additional Sticky Napalm casts boost damage by up to 10.0 stacks. Each cast deals a minor amount of damage. The damage per stack starts at 4 in level 1, which increases to 16 at max level. Sticky Napalm lasts for 6 seconds.
- Aghanim’s Shard Upgrade – You are no longer disarmed by the Flaming Lasso. Every other attack applies a stack of Sticky Napalm.
- Flamebreak – Batrider throws out a flaming bottle that explodes upon reaching its location, knocking back and damaging enemies over time in a radius. The impact damage of Flamebreak is 25 at level 1 and 100 at max level. It lasts for 5 seconds and deals 10 damage per second at level 1, increasing to 40 damage per second when maxed out. This ability is useful for disrupting enemy positioning and providing additional damage in fights.
- Firefly – Batrider takes to the skies, leaving a trail of flame in his wake that damages enemies. Firefly has a radius of 200 and lasts for 15 seconds. At level 1, it deals 30 damage per second, which increases to 120 damage at max level. This ability allows Bat to move over obstacles and cliffs, granting him high mobility and chase potential. It also allows him to farm quickly.
- Flaming Lasso – Batrider ensnares a targeted enemy Hero with his lasso, dragging them along with him. This potent disabling tool can single-handedly pick off key enemy Heroes, disrupting the enemy's formation during engagements. Flaming Lasso lasts for 2.3 seconds at level 1, increasing to 3.3 seconds at level 3. It deals a total damage of 100 at level 1 and 300 at max level.
- Aghanim’s Scepter Upgrade – Flaming Lasso captures both its target and the target's nearest allied Hero within 650 units. The secondary target is linked to the primary.
- Level 10 – +50 Flamebreak Knockback Distance or +50 Sticky Napalm Radius
- Level 15 – -10s Flaming Lasso Cooldown or +20 Movement Speed
- Level 20 – 2 Flamebreak Charges or +4.5s Firefly Duration
- Level 25 – Flamebreak applies 2 Sticky Napalm Stacks or +10 Sticky Napalm Damage
Dota 2 Batrider Guide – Tips
Batrider is a unique Hero with an ability kit focused on displacement and high mobility. Sticky Napalm amplifies your damage and reduces enemies' turn rates, making it harder for them to escape or counter your advances. Flamebreak provides area damage and knockback, further disorienting your enemies. Firefly gives you unparalleled mobility, allowing you to fly over terrain while leaving a damaging trail of fire behind. Lastly, Flaming Lasso is a potent tool for singling out and eliminating key targets.
Bat can be played in multiple roles, but he is often seen either in the mid-lane or the offlane. In both roles, he leverages his potent skill set to harass the enemy laner, secure farm, and create kill opportunities. His mobility and ganking potential also enable him to exert pressure across the map.
As Bat, you need both experience and farm. It's crucial to farm efficiently to acquire your key items to significantly enhance your pick-off potential. You should buy 1 or 2 mobility items and at least 1 defensive item. Overall, Your aim should be to take advantage of your high mobility and vision advantage to secure kills and control the map for your team.
Dota 2 Batrider – Pros and Cons
Batrider's high flexibility and strong ganking potential make him a formidable Hero. However, he has some shortcomings. Let’s have a look at his pros and cons.
- High mobility
- Great ganking potential
- Strong initiator
- Effective in every stage of the game
- Dependent on key items
- Needs good positioning
- Needs a high level of skills to play well
How to play Batrider
Understanding Bat’s role in different stages of the game can significantly increase your effectiveness on the battlefield. Let’s take a closer look at how to play the Hero.
As the game starts, invest in Tangoes and Healing Salves for Health sustainability in your lane. Iron Branches offer a cheap yet effective boost to all your attributes, making them worthwhile additions to your starting items. A Faerie Fire could also be a lifesaver in clutch situations, providing instant Health recovery during aggressive trades or unexpected ganks.
Additionally, 1 or 2 Mantle of Intelligence can be a good purchase for some extra Mana regeneration. You can also upgrade it to Null Talisman later. In some lanes buying a Blood Grenade might provide the extra damage to finish off enemies.
At this stage, your primary aim is to exert pressure on your lane opponent. Your Sticky Napalm is a highly effective harassment tool that helps you secure last hits. Your potency escalates when you reach level 2 and unlock Firefly, as the combination of these two abilities can lead to early kills. Once you reach level 6 and obtain Flaming Lasso, your ganking potential skyrockets. This is when you should start actively looking for gank opportunities or coordinate with your team to lock down key targets.
In terms of items, your initial focus should be on Boots of Speed for increased mobility. Next, get a Magic Stick if the enemies are using many spells. You can upgrade your Mantle of Intelligence to Null Talisman at this stage. Buy a Witch Blade to significantly improve your damage output. A Bottle can be really useful for a mid Batrider.
As you transition into the mid-game, your primary function evolves into a potent initiator and disruptor. The core item at this stage is the Blink Dagger. It allows you to quickly jump into the enemy, latch onto a key target with Flaming Lasso, and drag them into a disadvantageous position. Following the Blink Dagger, a Force Staff can be your next item. You should also upgrade your Boots Of Speed to Boots Of Travel at this stage.
For added mobility and survivability, a Eul's Scepter could be a good choice in some games. A Black King Bar is an excellent choice to prevent enemy crowd control abilities from interrupting your key role in team fights.
In the late game, Bat's role remains consistent – he should initiate fights and pick off high-priority targets. However, your item choices should now pivot based on the game's state and the enemy team composition.
A Scythe of Vyse can bolster your crowd-control capabilities. If the enemy team packs a punch with high burst damage, an Aeon Disk could be a game-changer. Other viable options include Shiva's Guard for slowing down enemies and reducing their attack speed or an Octarine Core for reduced cooldowns and increased spell lifesteal. If the game goes too late, upgrade your Blink Dagger to Overwhelming or Swift Blink and buy a Refresher Orb.
Dota 2 Batrider Counters
Several Heroes can cause trouble for Batrider. Here are 4 of his best counters.
- Legion Commander – Legion Commander's Press the Attack ability can dispel any negative debuff from its target, including Bat's Flaming Lasso. Furthermore, her Duel can lock Bat in place, preventing him from dragging a lassoed target or flying over terrain with Firefly.
- Oracle – Oracle is another strong counter, primarily due to his Fortune's End ability. Similar to Press the Attack, Fortune's End can purge Bat's Flaming Lasso from an ally, instantly breaking Bat's control. Oracle's False Promise also serves as a deterrent, as it can make an ally immune to his damage and crowd control.
- Nyx Assassin – Nyx Assassin's Spiked Carapace ability makes him a serious threat to Batrider. Furthermore, his Vendetta ability allows Nyx to initiate on Bat, who lacks any natural escape mechanism apart from Firefly.
- Anti-Mage – Anti-Mage is famous for punishing Heroes that rely heavily on their Mana pool, and Bat is no exception. With his high Mana-cost abilities, Bat is a prime target for Anti-Mage's Mana Void. Additionally, Anti-Mage's Blink ability allows him to easily escape Bat’s initiation or chase down a retreating Batrider.
We'll continue to bring you more guides for your favorite Heroes, so stay tuned for more.