We take a detailed look at the characters and abilities we can expect to see when Valorant drops this summer.
With Valorant set to drop in some form in Summer 2020, it’s going to be important to know as much info as possible before then. Below is our preview of the eight characters and their abilities.
For a full look at some of the other features in Valorant check out our "What we know so far" article. Be sure to keep an eye on ESTNN as we approach Summer 2020 with more info dropping.
Some quick general info
While each character in Valorant has a unique set of abilities and skills. Your weapon and some other cooldowns are not set, instead, you’ll use a pre-round buy menu to buy equipment for the upcoming round (like in CS:GO).
Each character will have the following:
- Two purchasable abilities: Each character has access to two extra abilities that require charges bought from the store at the rounds start. These will serve a similar purpose to grenades in CS:GO, providing you will extra utility.
- One Ultimate: Each character has access to one powerful, unique ability. This is earned from kills or completing objectives similar to how it works in Overwatch.
- One Main ability: This is your default ability. It will always be available and free to use based on cooldown.
Phoenix is an aggressive character who will excel at pushing headfirst into combat and utilizing devastating fire abilities.
- Hot Hands - Throw a fireball that explodes after a delay or upon impact with the ground. The fire zone damages enemies but will also heal you
- Blaze - Summon a flame wall that blocks vision and damages anyone passing through it. You can bend the wall when casting.
- Signature Ability: Curveball- Cast a curving flare that bursts into brilliant light after a brief delay, temporarily blinding all looking at it.
- Ultimate Ability: Run it Back - Mark your current location. If you die during this ability’s duration, or when this ability’s duration expires, you’ll be reborn at the marked location with full health.
Jett will utilize an agile fighting style. Her key goal is to outflank enemies and take them out with quick, precise ambushes.
- Cloudburst - Throw out a cloud of fog that obscures vision on impact.
- Updraft - After a brief wind up, propel yourself upwards.
- Signature Ability: Tailwind - Immediately dash a short distance in the direction you’re moving.
- Ultimate: Blade Storm - Wield several throwing knives that deal moderate damage and kill on headshots. Getting a kill replenishes your daggers and you can choose to throw them one at a time or throw all remaining daggers in a short-ranged burst.
Viper will use an array of toxic gas and screening effects to turn a battle. To do this she’ll use a secondary resource called ‘fuel’.
- Snakebite - Fire a projectile that explodes into a pool of damaging acid.
- Poison Cloud - Throw a gas emitter that you can reactivate to create a poisonous smoke cloud at the cost of fuel. The emitter can be picked up and thrown again after a short cooldown.
- Signature Ability: Toxic Screen - Deploy a long line of gas emitters that you can reactivate to create a tall wall of toxic gas at the cost of fuel.
- Ultimate: Viper’s Pit - Emit a massive toxic cloud in a large area that lasts as long as Viper stays inside the cloud. Enemies inside the cloud are highlighted to Viper.
Sova is your bow and arrow man. His abilities will help you track enemy movement and take them down with ruthless precision.
- Shock Bolt - Fire an explosive bolt that emits a damaging pulse of static energy on impact.
- Owl Drone - Deploy a pilotable drone that can fire a dart that will Reveal enemies on hit
- Signature Ability: Recon Bolt - Fire a bolt that deploys a sonar emitter. The sonar pings tag nearby enemies, causing them to be revealed.
- Ultimate: Hunter’s Fury - Fire up to three deadly energy blasts that spear across the entire map. Each hit enemy takes heavy damage and is marked.
Cypher is the spy guy. His aim is to lure enemies into traps while utilizing a network of surveillance to keep track of enemy movement.
- Free Ability: Trapwire - Place a stealthed tripwire between two walls. Triggering enemies are restrained and revealed for a short time. If the trap is not destroyed, it activates to daze the trapped victim. The trapwire can be picked up and replaced.
- Cyber Cage - Toss out a remote activation trap. Reactivate to create a cage that slows enemies who pass through it. Cypher can remote detonate the traps, either one at a time or all at once.
- Signature Ability: Spycam - Place a remote camera. After placing, reactivate to view the video feed. You can use the Spycam to fire a dart at enemies
- Ultimate: Neural Theft- Extract information from the corpse of an enemy, revealing the location of their living allies.
Brimstone’s main goal is death from above. His main aim to deliver precise attacks and acts as a kind of in-game commander. While we don’t have an official visual of, we just assume that means he’s extra badass.
- Incendiary - Throw an incendiary grenade that deploys a damaging field of fire.
- Stim Beacon - Target a nearby location to call in a Stim Beacon, giving all players near it Rapidfire.
- Signature Ability: Sky Smoke - Use your map to call in orbital deployment smokescreens that obscure vision. Use your map to target a location.
- Ultimate: Orbital Strike - Use your map to target a location, launching a devastating orbital strike that pulses for high damage over several seconds.
Sage is the go-to support/healer in Valorant. She’s able to revive downed allies or impair the movement of her foes.
- Slow Orb - Cast out a radianite orb that breaks into a slowing field upon impact with the ground. All caught in the field are slowed, grounded, and make noise when moving.
- Barrier Orb - Conjure a large, solid wall. The wall can be rotated.
- Signature Ability: Healing Orb - Heal an ally or yourself to full health over a few seconds.
- Ultimate: Resurrection- Target a friendly corpse. After a short delay, revive them with full health.
Omen is a mind game kinda person. Teleporting around the map, striking and blinding enemies while letting paranoia set in. He’ll keep you on your toes, much like us waiting for an official look at him.
Omen hunts in the shadows. He renders enemies blind, teleports across the field, then lets paranoia take hold as foes scramble to uncover where it might strike next.
- Paranoia - Send out an Ethereal shadow in a straight line, Nearsighting anyone it touches.
- Shadow Walk - After a delay, teleport a short distance.
- Signature Ability: Dark Cover - Cast out a stealthed ethereal orb that bursts into an obscuring sphere of shadow at its final location. Can be charged to increase distance.
- Ultimate: From the Shadows - Select anywhere on the map to teleport and reappear. When arriving, appear as a Shade, that will go back to your original location if killed. Once the teleport is complete, become invincible for a short time.
Breach will be the go to objective pusher, as his name suggests. So if you're the type of player who likes to play the objective, breach is your man.
- Aftershock -Equip a fusion charge. Fire the charge to set a slow-acting burst through the wall. The burst does heavy damage to anyone caught in its area.
- Flashpoint - Equip a blinding charge. Fire the charge to set a last-acting burst through the wall. The charge detonates to blind all players looking at it.
- Signature Ability: Fault Line - Equip a seismic blast. Hold Fire to increase the distance. Release to set off the quake, dazing all players in its zone and in a line up to the zone.
- Ultimate: Rolling Thunder - Equip a seismic charge. Fire to send a cascading quake through all terrain in a large cone. The quake dazes and knocks up anyone caught in it.
Raze is your ideal agent for doing big AOE damage and flushing out opponents.
- Blast Pack - Instantly throw a Blast Pack that will stick to surfaces. Re-use the ability after deployment to detonate, damaging and moving anything hit.
- Cluster Grenade - Fire to throw the grenade, which does damage and creates sub-munitions, each doing damage to anyone in range.
- Signature Ability: Boom Bot - Fire will deploy the bot, causing it to travel in a straight line on the ground, bouncing off walls. The Boom Bot will lock on to any enemies in its frontal cone and chase them, exploding for heavy damage if it reaches them.
- Ultimate Ability: Showstopper - Fire shoots a rocket that does massive area damage on contact with anything.
Images via Riot Games