Diablo 4 Malignant Hearts are exclusive items that players can use in Diablo 4 Season 1. The interesting thing to note about these items is the fact that, once you interact with them, they allow you to summon monsters capable of releasing Caged Hearts that can be equipped to your character. These caged hearts offer very useful boosts for your builds, so we recommend that you get to know them well. For this reason, in this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about the Malignant Hearts so that they will have no more secrets for you.
Malignant Hearts colors
Before going into the heart of the matter, it must be said that the Malignant Hearts are divided into four different colors. Each color associated with them corresponds to the type of effect that Caged Hearts produce. The colors in question are as follows:
- Vicious Heart (Offensive Power) – Red
- Brutal Heart (Defensive Power) – Blue
- Devious Heart (Utility Power) – Purple
- Wrathful Heart (Super Power) – Clear
How to unlock Malignant Hearts
Without going into too much detail, otherwise, we risk making spoilers on the main plot, this first mission will ask you to find a new NPC that has been added specifically in this Season 1, Cormond, who following some events, took refuge in a tunnel to try to escape from the beasts that were chasing him. Once you manage to help him, you can talk to him, who will explain everything he witnessed in that tunnel.
At this point, Cormond will teach you how to use the Cage of Binding Ritual in order to use the Malignant Hearts and their powers. From now on, you will be able to access the Malignant Tunnels, dungeons which, once cleared, will give you the possibility to get hold of the Malignant Hearts and equip them to receive their effects.
How to equip Caged Hearts
In order to add an Infested Sockect to your equipment, all you have to do is go to one of the Jeweler Vendors present in the game world and buy a slot, even if it will cost you a heart. Keep in mind that the color of the slot you buy is random, so you won't be able to choose it yourself. In total, you can equip up to three caged hearts at once, one in your amulet slot and two in your ring slots.
As mentioned earlier, these items are specific to Diablo 4 Season 1: Season of the Malignant, so they cannot be used in the base game or future seasons as well. Once Season 1 ends, all the Malignant Hearts you have accumulated over time will also disappear with it. For this reason, we advise you to take advantage of these very interesting objects while you can.
How to get Caged Hearts
There are two ways thanks to which you can get Caged Hearts: farming them from Malignant Monsters and crafting them at Cormond's Wagon.
Each boss or mini-boss you encounter will give you a random colored Malignant Heart when you kill it for the first time. The color of the Malignant Heart that you gain access to will be the same color as the Caged Heart that the enemy will drop when defeated. When you interact with the Malignant Heart, the boss will spawn again, but it will be a bit stronger than the first time. Once defeated for the second time, he will release a Caged Heart of the same color as the initial Malignant Heart.
Also, at the end of each Malignant Tunnel, you will encounter a Malignant Outgrowth. By making use of a particular item called Invoker of the Outgrowth, you will be able to summon a Malignant Elite who, when defeated, will release an even more powerful Caged Heart.
The other option you have to get Caged Hearts is to craft them at Cormond's Wagon. Here you will be able to craft a random Vicious, Brutal. or Devious Caged Heart (WARNING: Wrathful Harts can't be crafted), a Vicious, Brutal, or Devious Invoker for use in the Malignant Tunnels, or a random Caged Heart or Invoker.
Of course, to craft these items you'll need some sort of material called Ichor which can be obtained from Salvaged Caged Hearts or less powerful Malignant Monsters. Vicious, Brutal, and Devious Hearts will give you 5-15 Ichor, while Wrathful Hearts will give you 2-5 Ichor. To create a specific Malignant Heart, you will need 35 Ichor of the other two main hearts. So, for example, if you want to make a Brutal Heart, you'll need 35 Vicious Ichor and 35 Devious Ichor.
Also, we remind you that the hearts you craft will automatically match your character's level and will always be useful for your class (as we'll see later, there are specific Malignant Hearts for each class). Finally, the last thing to keep in mind is to make use of the lowest level Caged Hearts to get Ichor.
All Diablo 4 Malignant Hearts
The Malignant Hearts available to players are 32 divided into General, Barbarian, Druid, Necromancer, Rogue, and Sorcerer Malignant Hearts. This means that each class has its own four Malignant Hearts plus twelve General Malignant Hearts.
- The Picana (Critical Strikes electrically charge the enemy for 0.75-2.50 seconds, causing lightning to arc between them and any other charged enemies dealing 68-136 Lightning damage)
- The Dark Dance (Every 5 seconds while above 60% Life, Core Skills cost 68-51 Life instead of your Primary Resource. Skills that consume Life deal 10-20% increased damage)
- Tempting Fate (You gain 40-60% Critical Strike Damage but your Non-Critical Strikes deal 20-15% less damage)
- The Lionheart (You gain 10% Barrier Generation. You Heal 3-7 Life per second while you have an active Barrier)
- Revenge (10-20% of incoming damage is instead suppressed. When you use a Defensive, Subterfuge or a Macabre skill, all suppressed damage is amplified by 250% and explodes, dealing up to 1360-2040 Fire damage to Nearby enemies)
- Prudent Heart (You become Immune for 2.0-4.0 seconds after you lose more than 20% Life in a single hit. This effect can only occur once every 110 seconds)
- Determination (Resource draining effects are 40-50% less effective. In addition, gain 3.0-8.0% increased Resource Generation)
- Retaliation (Deal 510-680 Fire damage to surrounding enemies whenever a Crowd Control effect is removed from you)
- The Calculated (After spending 150-200 of your Primary Resource, your next attack Stuns enemies hit for 2 seconds)
- The Malignant Pact (Cycle through a Malignant bonus every 20 kills:
- Vicious:Gain 20% Attack Speed
- Devious:Core and Basic Skills have a 15% chance to fully restore your Primary Resource
- Brutal:Every 21 seconds, gain a Barrier absorbing 85-102 damage)
- Creeping Death: (Your damage over time effects are increased by 30-40% for each different Crowd Control effect on the target. Unstoppable monsters and Staggered bosses instead take 110-130% increased damage from your damage over time effects)
- The Barber (Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second)
- The Malignant Pact (Cycle through a Malignant bonus every 20 kills:
- Focused Rage (After spending 100-60 Fury within 2 seconds, your next Non-Basic Skill's Critical Strike Chance is increased by 20-30%)
- Resurgent Life (While below 40-60% Life, you receive 50-60% more Healing from all sources)
- Punishing Speed (Your Skills have a 20-30% chance to Knock Down all enemies for 1.25 seconds when that Skill's Attack Speed is higher than 35-20%)
- Ignoring Pain (Incoming damage has a 5-15% chance of being ignored and instead Healing you for 17-68)
- The Moonrage (Kills have a 5% chance to summon a Wolf Companion to your side for 20-30 seconds. In addition, gain +3 to Wolves)
- The Agitated Winds (When 8-13 Close enemies, automatically cast Cyclone Armor. This cannot occur more than once every 10-20 seconds)
- Inexorable Force (Up to 30-50 Distant enemies are pulled toward you while you have an Ultimate Skill active)
- The Unconstrained Beast (When you are hit with a Stun, Freeze or Knock Down effect, there is a 40-60% chance to automatically activate Grizzly Rage for 3 seconds)
- The Sacrilegious (Walking near a Corpse automatically activates an equipped Corpse Skill every second, dealing 40-30% reduced damage)
- The Decrepit Aura (When at least 5 enemies are near you, gain an aura that automatically curses surrounding enemies with Decrepify for 5-15 seconds)
- Frozen Terror (Lucky Hit: Up to a 10-20% chance of inflicting Fear for 2.5 seconds. Feared enemies are Chilled for 20% every second)
- The Great Feast (Each Minion drains 1.0-2.0 Essence per second but deals 50-75% increased damage. With no Minions, this bonus applies to you and drains 5 Essence per second)
- Cluster Munitions (Lucky Hit: You have up to a 20% chance to launch 3 Stun Grenades that deal 26-32 Physical damage and Stun enemies for 0.50 seconds)
- Trickery (When you use a Subterfuge Skill, leave behind an unstable Shadow Decoy Trap that Taunts enemies. The Shadow Decoy Trap will explode after 6.0 seconds dealing 680-1020 Shadow damage. Cannot occur more than once every 5 seconds)
- The Clipshot (Lucky Hit: Up to a 20-40% chance for your Cutthroat Skills to Slow by 40% for 3 seconds and your Marksman Skills to Knock Back enemies)
- The Vile Apothecary (Your attacks have a 5-15% chance to apply all Imbuement effects at 40-50% of normal potency)
- Tal'Rasha (For each unique element you deal damage with, you deal 7-12% increased damage for 3-10 seconds)
- Spellbreaking (After taking Elemental damage, gain 20-40% Resistance to that element for 5 seconds)
- Spite (When you are afflicted with a Crowd Control effect, there is a 20-40% chance that the same enemy and enemies around you are also afflicted with the same effect for 3 seconds)
- Omnipower (Core Skills that launch a projectile consume all of your Mana. For every 45-35 extra Mana consumed, you launch an additional projectile, and the damage is increased by 3.0-5.0%)