Unfortunately, we can’t say that we didn’t see this one coming; ESL confirms the LA Major is cancelled.
It seems the coronavirus outbreak has made it’s first big impact on the Dota 2 scene. Even though some people thought that one of the biggest problems in the world right now wouldn’t reach the gaming world. It turned out that it did.
In a televised address President Trump said all travel from Europe would be suspended for the next 30 days, excluding the UK
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) March 12, 2020
Today, US President Donald Trump made a statement where he suspends travels to and from Europe. That’s why it doesn’t come as a surprise that ESL decided to cancel the Major for now because as you know, the event was supposed to take place in Los Angeles, one of the biggest cities in the US.
— ESL Dota2 (@ESLDota2) March 12, 2020
According to the official release, ESL said that it is now working with Valve in order to determine what will happen with the event. This means that we will have more information soon.
Although many players and fans are probably disappointed, we can’t really say that we are surprised. Unfortunately, the coronavirus is a very serious threat to everyone right now, so it’s definitely better to wait until the situation becomes better.
It will be very interesting to see what will happen with the DPC as a whole. So far, we’ve never had such a situation so we’re not sure what actions will Valve take. It seems like the best decision is to make this an online tournament. While it’s true that it won’t be nearly as exciting as it was supposed to be, at least it will give the players a chance to play.
Be sure to follow us for more info on our social media accounts. We'll be bringing you updates on the situation as soon as more information becomes available.