From robot dogs to classic warfare, here’s everything we learned from the Battlefield 2042 reveal trailer.
Today we finally saw our first glimpse of Battlefield's next iteration, Battlefield 2042. This game will see a mixture of classic battlefield action, alongside new, massive-scale destruction and much more. Here’s everything we learned from the reveal trailer.
The main thing the Battlefield 2042 reveal trailer showed us is that Battlefield hasn't changed. The classic large-scale action we know and love will be returning, with rumored 64v64 Conquest coming to the next-gen consoles.
Large scale maps will be returning, with seven rumored to arrive at launch, and many more coming post-launch. These maps cross a wide range of terrain, with the icy planes of the Arctic, along with the streets of big cities, reminiscent of the Siege of Shanghai.
Battlefield 2042 will feature seven maps at launch. These will hold up to 128 players and feature dynamic elements.
- Kaleidoscope – set in Sogdo, South Korea. Forces here will clash to control a quantum-powered disinformation hub after an attack threatens the global network.
- Manifest – set in Brani Island, Singapore. Players will see a strategic flashpoint emerge as global trade chokes this location which is vital for the American supply lines.
- Orbital – set in Kourou, French Guiana. The battle here is over a rocket launch site as a controversial space launch becomes a race against time.
- Discarded – set in Alang, India. Here you see shipbreakers facing tidal extremes as factions fight to secure rogue nuclear assets.
- Renewal – set in the Eastern Desert, Egypt. Players will fight for a groundbreaking agriculture technology center in the Egyptian Desert.
- Hourglass – set in Doha, Qatar – Shifting sands and a lost shipping convoy tear a city center apart.
- Breakaway – set in Queen Maud Land, Antarctica. Struggle over oil and gas that pushes soldiers to the brink as an industry clashes with nature and ice gives way.
Battlefield 2042 will feature specialist classes. These will all have their own unique traits and customizable classes.
Wikus “Casper” Van Daele
- Place of Birth: South Africa
- Class: Recon
- Specialty: OV-P Recon Drone
- Trait: Movement Sensor
- Place of Birth: Canada
- Class: Assault
- Specialty: Grappling Hook
- Trait: Nimble
- Place of Birth: Germany
- Class: Support
- Specialty: S21 Syrette Pistol
- Trait: Combat Surgeon
Pyotr “Boris” Guskovsky
- Place of Birth: Russia
- Class: Engineer
- Specialty: SG-36 Sentry Gun
- Trait: Sentry Operator
Three modes will be coming to Battlefield 2042 at launch.
All Out Warfare
- Conquest and Breakthrough both return in 2042, featuring a massive 128 players, making them grander and more fun than ever.
- Hazard Zone is a new mode where players will squad up and drop down into an “all new, high stakes multiplayer experience”. With more info coming in the future, we’re excited to hear more.
Battlefield also announced another mode designed as a “love letter” to fans. More details will be announced at EA Play on July 22.
When Will We See Gameplay?
Gameplay is not far around the corner, with the gameplay trailer releasing on June 13. With content creators likely getting their hands on the game earlier than most, we can expect to see some excellent gameplay soon.