The Apocalypse draws near and everyone is ready to face it head on! Hence, here is a guide to completing the Apocalypse challenge in Phasmophobia
Whenever we think of ghost-hunting games, the first name that comes to our mind is Phasmophobia. Phasmophobia is a game created by Kinetic Games which was released in September 2020 with VR support. The game can be played solo or with 3 team members all of whom complete a ghost-hunting contract together in co-operation. The game gained recognition for being a paranormal horror survival game which mainly Twitch streamers made popular, eventually making it the sixth-most watched game on the platform. Many updates came out for the game ever since its release where the Apocalypse update became very popular and the Apocalypse challenge was put out for Halloween. Hence, here is a guide to completing the Apocalypse challenge in Phasmophobia.
Completing the Apocalypse Challenge in Phasmophobia
As we all know, one of the biggest updates that Phasmophobia had was the Apocalypse update. The Apocalypse update was officially added to the game on September 27, 2022. The Apocalypse update came with its own map, the Sunny Meadows map and a completely new lobby. That same update also brought with it the custom difficulty settings and so the challenge was born. In October of 2022, Phasmophobia introduced the “Apocalypse Draws Near” challenge in spirit for Halloween. It is one of the most difficult challenges to be ever introduced in the game and it sparked a great interest in the gaming community. Here is the official release post that was posted on X:
Apocalypse update is live!
— Phasmophobia (@KineticGame) September 27, 2022
The reward for completing the Apocalypse challenge was set to be three skull trophies which can be displayed in one’s lobby room. The trophies range from Bronze to Silver skulls and are each awarded for completing one of the three levels of the Apocalypse challenge. As for the deadline of the challenge, there isn’t one and it can be completed any time. However, most players can be seen completing the challenge during Spooky Season for the novelty feeling of it. The trophies are not easy to obtain by any means so, here is a guide on how you can go about completing the Apocalypse challenge:
Rules for the Apocalypse Challenge
Here are the rules that you need to follow to go about completing the Apocalypse challenge:
- Play specifically on the Sunny Meadows Mental Institution Map
- Play Solo or Single Mode only or else the challenge will not be considered valid!
- Play on a Custom Difficulty multiplier setting of at least 15x, 20x or 24x
- Complete all 4 objectives that the game gives you for the contract
- Click a photo of the Ghost with any number of stars rating (1-5)
- Correctly guess the type of Ghost you encountered and escape unscathed
Tips and Tricks for completing the Apocalypse Challenge
Now that you know the rules to complete the challenges, you need to know how to properly do it. The simple way to complete the challenge is to play the game a lot and get used to the mechanics. Besides that, you can follow a few techniques that can help you in the long run. Hence, here are some tips and tricks for completing the Apocalypse challenge:
- Practice: Practice playing on the Sunny Meadows Mental Institution Map on regular difficulties. Make sure to get familiar with the layout of the map as it is a very large map. Figure out the best hiding spots because you sure will need them when the Ghost is hunting you down at 150x its normal speed. A good spot for hiding is behind the piano in the church, just camp out there and you should be fine!
- Time Everything: When playing the practice matches, make sure to time everything and note it down. For example, take note of the time between hunts, while the hunting period is ongoing and after using a smudge stick how long it holds the Ghost back. This will reduce the risk of dying instantly and give you the upper hand.
- Choosing Equipment: Pick out the right combination of investigation equipment for hunting the Ghost down. This is because when you’re playing on a Custom Difficulty, the Ghost will be more relentless than usual and the hunting periods will last longer. Hence, choose your equipment wisely and be precise with it by sticking to the ones that give results quickly like the EMF Reader and Motion Sensor. Keep a Smudge Stick and Camera on you at all times until you’re setting up in the Ghost room.
- Do Your Research: Before you start attempting the challenge, make sure to do your research about how each Ghost behaves. Learn the combination of evidence for each Ghost. An easy to gather all this information is to utilize the “Phasmo Cheat Sheet” created by Tybayn. You can find the cheat sheet on GitHub which includes vital information such as the sound of each Ghost’s footsteps with filters for modifiers. There are also additional filters that can tell you exactly what you need to know about a specific type of evidence or Ghost. You can also find accurate time stamps for a Ghost’s behavior which will come in very handy during a hunt.
- Start Defensively: Make sure to start the hunt defensively by holding a Crucifix in your hand. You can also keep the Crucifix under your feet at all times for extra protection. Wait out the first few hunts in your chosen hiding spots and opt for safe play rather than aggressive. You can also choose to hang around the Entrance hallways at the beginning of the game to find a stalking Ghost.
- Multitasking: Multitasking is key when it comes to completing the Apocalypse challenge because death is very easy to come by. For this reason, check for evidence in groups at a time while making sure to time everything to avoid untimely death. Always keep your camera at the ready to snap a picture of the Ghost early in the game, as it always gets harder to do during a hunt.
And that is about every tip and trick in the book that we can provide to you for attempting to complete this challenge. Bear in mind that these are just tips and tricks, not concrete ways to help you complete the challenge as it all depends on your play whether you win or not.
Needless to say, this challenge is not easy to overcome at all because it is the hardest challenge in the game for a reason. The main objective is of course to enjoy the game and complete all objectives while being on the run from a Ghost. It is going to be a very paranormal and terrifying experience, but it is well worth it because you can show your friends your Gold Skull trophy.
Hence, read up on our guide to completing the Apocalypse challenge and embark on your journey today! Don’t wait any longer and attempt to beat the challenge today. Make sure to check out other guides written by us and stay tuned for more Phasmophobia guides in the future.