What’s New in Patch 9.20?
- Experience required for level 5 reduced from 12 to 10.
- Experience required for level 9 reduced 70 to 66.
Tier Drop Rates:
- Level 8: Increased 15/25/35/20/5 to 15/20/35/22/8
- Level 9: Increased 10/15/33/30/12 -> 10/15/30/30/15
- Now starts with 1 stack +15 attack damage.
Frozen Heart (NERF):
- Duration increased from 4 seconds to 1 second.
Infinity Edge (NERF):
- Critical strike damage reduced from 150% critical damage to 125% critical damage.
- Cooldown reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
Thief’s Gloves (NERF):
- Lowered the average quality of item combinations.
- 3-unit synergy reduced from 75% critical damage & 10% critical strike chance to 75% critical strike damage & 5% critical chance.
- Armor bonus increased from 35 to 45.
- 9-unit synergy increased from 3 extra shots to 4 extra shots.
- 9-unit synergy bonus armor reduced from 65 to 60.
- Attack speed per stack reduced from 12% to 10%.
- Armor increased from 25 to 35.
- Attack speed reduced from 0.85 to 0.8.
- Health increased from 400 to 450.
- Attack damage increased from 55 to 60.
- Killer Instinct attack speed bonus increased from 30%/60%/90% to 50%/75%/100%.
- Killer Instinct shield increased from 300/600/900 to 400/700/1000.
- Health increased from 750 to 800.
- Lightslinger damage increased from 100/225/350 to 125/250/375.
- Health reduced from 800 to 700.
- Attack speed increased from 0.6 to 0.65.
Patch 9.20 is a very small one and doesn’t really drive in a ton of major changes. Increasing tier 5 unit drop rates will likely have a small impact on the latest stages of the game, hardly affecting many players. In addition to these changes, reducing the experience required to hit level 9 by a total of 6 experience is also a small change.
Many of the adjustments that hit the item list were nerfs to the more commonly rushed items. Thief’s Gloves receiving a reduction of quality will take away from the RNG meta born from the item since its launch. Frozen Heart became a broken one after its four-second attack speed slow duration was dropped by 75%, now only lasting a single second. Praise be to those who loathe seeing a Pyke with 3 hearts jumping your backline.
As far as the champion and trait changes go, most of them are fairly lackluster balancing changes with the obvious heavy hitters – Wild – receiving a slight nerf. A 2% attack speed reduction seems pretty measly, but it means you’ll be taking a lot less damage sooner, potentially swinging the match in your favor. For the most part, it probably won’t stop the 4-Wild synergy from being powerful, but it might scare off some abusers.
Miscellaneous buffs and nerfs also came through for a handful of champions, the only memorable one being a large buff to Kai’Sa. Before, Kai’Sa pretty much only saw play in a Void Assassin buff and lacked the power that the other five cost units brought forth. Hence the increasing of her Killer Instinct attack speed and shield. She’ll hit a lot harder and survive more often, potentially being able to replace Ashe or Varus in Ranger focused compositions.
For more information on the 9.20 patch, you can read up on it here: https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/teamfight-tactics-patch-920-notes.