Today, Activision-Blizzard released a new hero and matchmaking system, along with some bug fixes and general adjustments.
Overwatch Patch 1.39 Highlights
New Feature: Role Queue!
This is probably the most anticipated feature ever for Overwatch players – the role queue matchmaking system. It allows players to choose their role before the game starts. This will prevent 5 OTP (One-Trick-Pony, the automatic selection of a character no matter the team composition) DPS which ruins lower-tier competitive games.
Each team will now include 2 tanks, 2 supports, and 2 DPS. The Role-Queue system is often referred to as “2-2-2.”
From now on, players will have three rankings, one per role. Some players may place as a gold tank, grandmaster support, and diamond DPS, for instance. Overwatch now ranks player performance as each role independently.
NEW HERO: SIGMA (TANK)
Sigma is now available on the live version of Overwatch. This new tank character yields gravity to project orbs on enemies and deploy a floating barrier. You can learn more about Sigma’s abilities or the best Sigma hero combos here.
Patch 1.39 GENERAL UPDATES
Previously only available in quick play and competitive games, players can now endorse each other in arcade modes (Mystery Heroes, No Limits, Deathmatch, Total Mayhem, and Low Grav), as well as all PvE Event game modes.
Blizzard only changed Mystery Heroes in this patch. On control maps, heroes are reset between rounds instead upon player death.
Following lots of feedback from the community about the workshop mode, Blizzard made several updates to add frequently requested features.
- Players can now track healing with three new values (Healer, Healee, and Event Healing) and two event types (Player Dealt Healing and Player Received Healing). Two news events ease players flow: Player Joined Match and Player Left Match.
- Blizzard also included the ability to scale, invert, and rotate the player’s input throttle to better control character in third-person view.
Patch 1.39 HERO CHANGES
- One of the most visible changes in all matches of Overwatch is the new +12% increased cost of all global ultimate. This means heroes will need to damage or heal more before being able to use their ultimate, which could be a game-changer for some team fights.
- Friendly and hostile slowing effects no longer stack together. The final speed is the slower of all movement-impairing abilities affecting a hero. This means that if a Mei is freezing a Reinhardt with his barrier up, the tank will only slow down once the freezing slowing effect is slower than the shield’s speed. It also applies to a scoping Widowmaker and or one of Symmetra’s turrets, for example.
- Blizzard also fixed a bug in which full damage was not dealt by abilities that rapidly gain/lose targets, such as fast-tracking with Zarya's and Symmetra's primary fire beams. This update targets beam weapons, which could potentially deal a lot more damage than they currently do. As Zarya will most likely be in the future 2-2-2 meta, this is an important update to a staple hero.
- Ashe’s reload time per round decreases from 0.3 to 0.25 seconds. She can reloads faster while not being too overpowered.
- The passive ability Inspire now heals an amount of 130 hp instead of 100. However, to counter this buff, Brigitte’s self-healing from Inspire is halved.
- Her Repair Pack now has 3 charges, heals 150 hp over 2 seconds instead of 120 hp instantly. If a player throws multiple packs at the same hero, the current duration will be extended by 2 seconds.
- Brigitte can now swing her whip faster than before. Whip Shot’s outgoing velocity increases from 60 to 80, and the retracting time reduces from 0.6 seconds to 0.3. The cooldown remains the same, but this speed increase will allow players to be more accurate with their whip.
- Blizzard also reduces her Barrier Shield health from 500 to 200 and the stun duration from her shield was reduced from 0.9 seconds to 0.75.
- Finally for Brigitte, her ultimate ability cost was increased by 10%, which means a 22% increase including the general increase of all ultimate costs.
All those changes increase Brigitte's position as a main healer for her team. We estimate that she will no longer be a “third” healer pick within the role queue system.
- As the cost of all ultimates is increased by 12% with this update, “mini” D.Va’s ultimate Call Mech is reduced by 12%, so players are not affected by the update when they get back in their mech.
- Quick melee no longer pauses ammo reload, which allows players to include Quick Melee as part of their combos and potentially increase their DPS.
- Blizzard nerfed Hanzo’s Storm Arrows, reducing the number of shots from 6 to 5.
- Protective Barrier's cooldown is increased from 8 seconds to 9 to prevent players from positioning their barrier too often while also giving enemies a larger opening to destroy the shield.
- Overwatch’s main tank has gained a new passive, called Steadfast. This ability reduces knockback effects by 30%, improving Reinhardt’s resistance as a frontline hero.
- Sombra is a key hero whose hacks can turn a game upside-down instantly. To mitigate that, Blizzard reduced her hack duration on enemy players from 6 to 5 seconds and increased her EMP activation time from 0.2 to 0.35 seconds. This change will reduce the impact of individual hacks while increasing the window for allies to combo with her ultimate or for opponents to counter it.
- Do you like Symmetra’s teleporters, or hate when the enemy team teleports behind your defensive lines? We have some news for you. Teleporter now lasts an infinite duration until destroyed, its maximum range has increased from 25 to 30 meters, and its cooldown only begins once the teleporter is destroyed. If the teleporter is more than 40 meters away from the exit, it is automatically removed.
- Pulse Bomb’s damage has increased from 300 to 350. This is great news for Tracer, whose ultimate was nerfed to protect tanks. With the increased popularity of shield-based characters, this upgrade allows Tracer to pick off a Bastion or Brigitte more easily.
- Minefield projectiles’ speed increased from 10 to 12, causing the mines to spread out more.
- The activation time was also reduced from 0.25 to 0.1 seconds, allowing players to better control Hammond’s ultimate to spread more from the air or create a deadly, concentrated trap on the ground.
GENERAL BUG FIXES
- Fixed a bug that prevented subtitles from displaying when spectating while waiting to respawn.
- Fixed a bug that caused charging heroes (Reinhardt, Doomfist, Brigitte) to inconsistently knock each other down when colliding.
- Fixed a bug so that some abilities (Hanzo’s Dragon Strike and Roadhog’s Chain Hook) will appear smoother when time is slowed down (end of round or custom game).
- Fixed a bug that caused the Presets UI in Custom Game to be displayed in the wrong order.
- Fixed a bug so that placement previews (Reaper’s Shadow Step, Mei’s Ice Wall) should now be much smoother.
- Fixed a bug so that placement previews will now hold their position after clicking until they’ve been confirmed by the server.
- Fixed a bug where orientation toggles for placement previews could flicker at higher latencies (Mei’s Ice Wall, Baptiste’s Amplification Matrix, Symmetra’s Photon Barrier).
MAP BUG FIXES
- This patch fixed a bug on Route 66 that allowed attackers to leave the spawn room before the round starts.
HEROES BUG FIXES
- Fixed a bug that caused her gun to clip into the camera slightly when jumping while shooting down sights.
- Fixed an issue that enables Doomfist to get through doorways while using Rocket Punch and clipping the corner.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Rocket Punch from consistently destroying Sombra’s Translocator and not being stopped by it, similar to Symmetra’s turrets.
- Fixed an issue so that targets hit by Rocket Punch will now go directly backward, instead of maintaining any lateral momentum they had.
- Fixed an issue so that targets that are immune to stun but not immune to knockback (Zarya's Particle Barrier, Zenyatta during Transcendence) are no longer able to affect knockback trajectory.
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist to move more slowly for the duration of Meteor Strike when using it while crouched.
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist to move backward slightly slower during Meteor Strike.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Defense Matrix from pointing down when D.Va was aiming downward while moving.
- Fixed an issue that caused false positives with Lúcio’s animation landing prediction when wall riding.
- Fixed a bug that caused some VFX to stop playing upon successive viewings of Orisa's “Oh!” highlight intro in Hero Gallery.
- Fixed a bug that caused charge knockback to be applied multiple times.
- Fixed a bug that caused Wrecking Ball to get stuck in his slam animation if he landed on very flat, slippery surfaces.
- Fixed a bug that caused Wrecking Ball to be temporarily stuck when using Piledriver on slippery surfaces.
- Fixed a bug that caused Wrecking Ball to gain an incorrect amount of shields when using Adaptive Shield.
- Fixed a bug that caused Zarya's weapon and arm to animate oddly during her emotes when viewed in the third person.
- Fixed a bug that caused a delay in Zenyatta's first-person quick melee animation when interrupting his primary fire.
Image VIA: Blizzard