This week’s patch looks to take away some of the power that was given previously to the heavily buffed Garen and Shaco. Both received some nerfs that were rather negligible and, honestly, maybe even unwarranted.
The main reasons for the nerfs were due to lower elo players getting pummeled in lane due to the buffs. Garen (when ahead) has the power to cut an entire team down with simple inputs of a W and E keypress. Despite his major changes, Garen still suffers from the same problems he had such as getting onto priority targets.
Patch 9.21 also enabled AP Shaco builds in the top and support lanes to rise in popularity. Riot decided to cut down his box duration, which indirectly nerfs Shaco’s early clear. This change is aimed at removing the lack the devastating lane presence Shaco has, being able to set up a minefield that would make Teemo proud. A 20-second reduction doesn’t mean much to jungle Shaco, but he won’t be as oppressing in lane. Look on the bright side Shaco players, at least he didn’t lose any damage!
Another champion who received some nerfing was Pyke – The Bloodharbor Ripper. Despite his solo laning abilities being crushed and hurting his role as a support, Pyke has remained popular at the competitive level. Things may change for the undead assassin as he’s taking a hit to his core mechanic in his passive. An overall health reduction per level as well as only being able to heal for maximum 50% of damage taken was his sentence.
Most of the buffs that came in were rather underwhelming. The only two with some decent impact were Lulu’s mid-game buffs to her E and Warwick’s early dueling. Focusing on the Uncaged Wrath of Zaun, Warwick’s Blood Hunt will be a lot bloodier. Receiving a 20% attack speed increase earlier will allow the big bad wolf to take lives quicker, earlier. Beware of the howl, Summoners!
Let's take a look at the changes.
E - Judgment:
- Base damage per spin reduced from 8/12/16/20/24 to 4/8/12/16/2
- Damage ratio unchanged.
Q – Reaping Slash:
- Damage increased from 60/80/100/120/140 to 75/95/115/135/155.
- Rhaast total attack ratio increased from 0.5 to 0.55.
- Bonus damage to monsters reduced from 55 to 40.
Base Stat Increase:
- Mana increased from 322.22 to 325.
- Mana regeneration increased from 8.676 to 8.75.
Q – Caustic Spittle:
- Base damage increased from 80/130/180/230/280 to 90/140/190/240/290.
E – Void Ooze:
- Base damage increased from 60/105/150/195/240 to 75/120/165/210/255.
E – Help, Pix!
- Shield size increased from 80/115/150/185/220 to 80/120/160/200/240.
- Damage increased from 80/110/140/170/200 to 80/120/160/200/240.
W – Twisted Advance:
- Now costs 60 mana at all levels.
- Damage increased from 50/75/100/125/150 to 70/95/120/145/170.
R – Nature’s Grasp:
- Rot duration increased from 0.6-2.4 seconds (based on distance traveled) to8-2.6 seconds (based on distance traveled).
Base Stat Decrease:
- Health growth reduced from 100 to 90.
Passive – Gift of the Drowned Ones:
- Grey health reduced from 30-81% (levels 1-18) of the damage he takes from enemy champions to 25-50% (levels 1-18) of the damage he takes from enemy champions.
W – Jack In The Box:
- Box duration reduced from 60 seconds to 40 seconds.
Base Stats Increase:
- Health increased from 528.04 to
- Attack damage increased from 52.04 to
- Armor increased from 22.72 to
Q – Siphon Power:
- Damage increased from 50/65/80/95/110 to 60/75/90/105/120.
Q – Jaws of the Beast:
- Damage ratio increased from 6/6.5/7/7.5/8% of the target's maximum health to 6/7/8/9/10% of the target's maximum health.
W – Blood Hunt:
- Bonus attack speed increased from 50/65/80/95/110% upon attacking a Blood Hunted target or an enemy unit below 50% of their maximum health to 70/80/90/100/110% upon attacking a Blood Hunted target or an enemy unit below 50% of their maximum health.
Image VIA: Riot Games