Welcome everyone to the weekly ESTNN rundown on the newest League of Legends patch! Today we’ll be diving into the 9.17 patch and taking a look at the latest balance changes and the rippling butterfly effects each change may have on the meta. Riot Games have announced that no major game-changing patches will happen until after the release of 9.19 – the projected patch in which Worlds will be played on. To summarize the two most significant changes of this patch, Aurelion Sol and Kayle are receiving small reworks that should make them a lot more impactful on the Rift.
What’s New in Patch 9.17?
Aurelion Sol (REWORK)
Passive - Center of the Universe:
- Damage reduced from 20/23/26/29/32/35/40/45/50/55/ 60/70/80/90/100/110/120/130 to 16/18/20/22/24/27/30/35/40/45/50/ 60/70/80/90/100/110/120.
- Ratio changed from 0.18-0.35 (levels 1-18) ability power to .25 ability power at all levels.
- Removed nullifying CC passive.
Q - Starsurge:
- Cooldown changed from 10 seconds to 11/10/9/8/7 seconds.
- Movement speed increased from 10% to 20%.
- New passive: If Aurelion Sol is faster than his star, the star will speed up to keep up with him.
W - Celestial Expansion:
- Ability change: When Aurelion Sol toggles the Outer Limit of his W, his stars gain increased damage and rotate at a high but decaying speed. After 3 seconds (or if Aurelion Sol reactivates it early), the stars will retract and grant Aurelion Sol 40% movement speed, decaying over 1.5 seconds.
- Cooldown changed from 6/5.5/5/4.5/4 seconds to 8/6.5/5/3.5/2 seconds.
E - Comet of Legend:
- Removed passive: Aurelion no longer gains bonus movement speed when moving in the same direction.
- Range increased from 3000/4000/5000/6000/7000 to 5500/6000/6500/7000/7500.
- Cooldown increased from 60/55/50/45/40 seconds to 80/75/70/65/60 seconds.
- Movement speed increased from 600 to 600/650/700/750/800.
Q - Winds of War:
- Cooldown reduced from 14/13/12/11/10 seconds to 12/11.5/11/10.5/10 seconds.
W - Shield of Durand:
- Minimum damage increased from 10/20/30/40/50 to 20/35/50/65/80.
- Maximum damage increased from 30/60/90/120/150 to 60/105/150/195/240.
Base Stats increase:
- Attack damage increased from 67 to 69.
- Mana increased from 231.8 to 250.
- Mana growth increased from 35 to 45.
Passive - Divine Ascent:
- Form order changed. Kayle ascends to her Aflame form at level 6 and Arisen form at level 11 changed to Arisen form at level 6 and Aflame form at level 11.
- Zealous bonus movement speed changed from 15% when Exalted and moving toward enemies to 8% when Exalted in all directions.
- Zealous stack sources changed from Basic attacks against non-structures to all basic attacks.
- Arisen attack range reduced from 550 to 525.
- Removed passive Arisen attack speed per stack: Kayle's bonus attack speed from her Zealous form no longer increases to 10% bonus attack speed per stack when Kayle is in her Arisen form.
- Removed Transcendent Fire Wave true damage: Fire waves no longer deal true damage.
- New Transcendent attack range: When Kayle is in her Transcendent form, she gains an additional 50 range for a total of 575 attack range on basic attacks.
Q - Radiant Blast:
- New mana refund passive: Now refunds 50% of the ability’s mana for each champion hit with the projectile.
- Cast delay reduced from 05. to 0.25 seconds.
- Cast time changed from attack speed timer to 0.25 seconds.
- Missile speed reduced from 2000 to 1600.
- Range reduced from 950 to 900 units.
- Resistances reduction change: 20% of the target's armor and magic resistance for 3 seconds changed to 15% of the target's armor and magic resistance for 4 seconds.
E - Starfire Spellblade:
- Bonus magic damage changed from 8/10/12/14/16% (+1% per 100 ability power) of the target's missing health to 8/9/10/11/12% (+1% per 50 ability power) of the target's missing health.
- The on-hit ratio increased from 0.1 total attack damage and 0.2 ability power to1 bonus attack damage and 0.25 ability power.
R - Divine Judgment:
- Cost changed from 100 mana to 100/50/0 mana.
- Area of effect radius increased from 475 to 500.
Q - Shield of Daybreak:
- Cooldown reduced from 6 seconds to 5 seconds.
Base stat increase:
- Attack damage increased from 61 to 64.
Passive - Inherent Glamour:
- New mechanic: When Neeko is disguised, she can now select herself to deactivate her disguise instead of using an ability or taking damage to remove it.
Q - Comet Spear:
- New thrust damage execute mechanic: Thrusting Pantheon's spear (releasing the ability within 0.35 seconds) now also increases the physical damage on targets below 25% of their maximum health (matching a fully hurled spear's bonus damage).
E - Aegis Assault:
- Monster damage reduction removed: Now deals full damage against non-epic monsters.
E – Audacity:
- Base damage reduced from 70/105/140/175/210 to 60/95/130/165/200.
R – Supreme Display of Talent:
- Cooldown changed from 120/100/80 seconds to 120 seconds at all ranks.
Base stat increase:
- Magic resist increased from 30 to 34.
R – Stranglethorns:
- Mana cost changed from 100/120/140 mana to 100 mana at all ranks.
- Cooldown reduced from 130/120/110 seconds to 110/100/90 seconds.
Starting off the analysis will be a quick rundown of the newest reworks to Aurelion Sol and Kayle. Taking a look at the new and improved Star Forger, Aurelion has become a bit more of a burst mage as opposed to his old control mage with burst potential playstyle. A massive quality of life buff for him enables his passive to continue spinning despite being affected by crowd control effects. Thereby through this change, Aurelion has the potential to finish off low health targets while being clobbered in a team fight. Besides that, his Q and W abilities have been given a lot more power, allowing him to become a much bigger threat in the mid to late game thanks to his increased scaling.
Considering the huge flop of the reworked Kayle’s launch, it is nice to see The Righteous angel receiving some tweaks. To summarize the changes, Kayle lost a bit of late-game power to facilitate an easier transition between her form changes. Aside from the form changes, her Q now has the potential to be a free cast thanks to the new mana refund mechanic implemented. These two changes should give the angel a better chance of surviving her horrid early game and allow her to scale a bit more safely to become a late-game damage threat for her team.
In addition to those changes, a slight quality of life buff for Pantheon will now enable him to be a stronger jungling choice while also giving him more power as a laner. There were many other bugfixes implemented in this patch and a variety of new skins and chromas coming to the game. For more information on those topics, you can read them here: https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-917-notes.